Thursday, February 07, 2008

Red


This is a tribute to my Grand-daddy, who most people knew as "Red" because of his red hair. He passed away Wednesday night. He was 80 years old and had battled cancer for the past 2 1/2 years, so he fought hard, but was just tired. He had a hole in his intestines, which proved to be too much for his body and although they said surgery might fix it, he probably wouldn't have survived the surgery, so my Nannie loved him enough to let him go peacefully and not hurt any more.

He was pretty well non-responsive Wednesday in the hospital. They told us that it would only be another hour or two, so we were able to say our goodbyes. I told him to be good (he was a stinker!!) and I told him Ellie sure wanted to see him, but they wouldn't let her back there since she was so young. They did, though...and it was precious. As soon as she said, "Hi, Grand-daddy!", his eyes opened and he looked right at her. When she waved and told him bye, he raised his arm trying to wave back. It was the hardest, but best goodbye we Ellie, Jeff, and I could have asked for.

One of my favorite memories of him was right before our wedding. Jeff and I got married in Nannie and Grand-daddy's yard, just like my parents did. My dad built a gazebo in their yard for one of their anniversaries, so we were repainting that one day. I had told Grand-daddy that for my wedding gift, I wanted him to play his harmonica for me, but he hadn't played in several years because of his false teeth. He came out to the gazebo that day and just sat there while Nannie, Jeff, and I painted. I wondered if he was up to something...but he just sat there. Without saying a word, he pulled out his harmonica and started playing, even with his false teeth. It was priceless.

We loved Grand-daddy and have such great memories of him. He was a stinker (as you can see in the picture - he would never pose because he was acting so silly), but he loved all of his grandkids and great-grandkids dearly - and we knew it! He was a Christian, so there is no doubt that he is at home with our Savior now and that he is suffering no more. We will be together tomorrow for his visitation, then the funeral will be Saturday. Please pray for our family, especially my Nannie.

3 comments:

the ruffhouse said...

Becky, I am so sorry to hear about your grandad. Know you and your family are in our prayers this weekend as you celebrate his life. Love you!

It's a Mom Thing said...

What sweet memories you have of your Granddaddy. No doubt Ellie will have a few sweet memories of him, too. Glad you were able to say good-bye. We'll be praying for y'all, especially for your Nannie.

Sher said...

I am so sorry I am just now catching up with you guys. I know it must have been a hard weekend. I'll be praying for your family, and especially your Nannie. What a sweet tribute this is!