Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rembering

Ellie has the best memory!! I don't know how she remembers details like she does, but it's one of her strong points! My Nannie always asks if I think she remembers my Grand-daddy, who a lot of people referred to as "Red". I tell her yes, that I really think she remembers him, but sometimes I wonder if she really does or if she just knows the stories we tell about him and the pictures she sees of him. Anyway, the other night, I needed to do some reports for work, so Jeff got out his laptop so I could work in the living room while we all watched Wall-E. When Jeff brought in the TV tray (which we never use because our living room and dining room are in the same space, so we don't have a reason to eat in front of the tv - because our table is pretty much in front of the tv), Ellie's light bulb clicked on. She said, "Hey. Do you remember Grand-daddy Red? (her own version of his name - we didn't put the 2 together) He used this table and ate his supper (it was lunch, but Ellie gets lunch and supper confused all the time, so she calls everything supper) and sitted in this chair." I could not believe it?!? I would have never remembered that, but the last time he was at our house (probably for my birthday in August of last year), he sat in the recliner and ate his lunch using the TV tray. What a great memory!! Ellie was very fond of Grand-daddy and when he passed, we were all gathered around his hospital bed saying our goodbyes. He was so sick and really didn't acknowledge anyone and was pretty well non-responsive, but when Ellie walked in the room, he raised his hand to wave at her and smiled. It was absolutely precious.

No comments: