Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Stay-at-home Mom

The girls at a birthday party for a little girl I do therapy with

Our new sign -
we had to have some way to let the neighbors know whether it was okay for Ellie to play or not and it seems to be working well so far. It also helps Ellie know when it's okay to play and when we need to do other things.
(I tend to not get much done when the neighborhood kids are over here, although they are very well behaved kids and we are blessed for Ellie to have such great friends to play with !)


Now for my real reason for this post:

So, my friend Emily posted something on her blog that I've been thinking a lot about lately. She talked about being a stay-at-home Mom and what she teaches her kids. I want to know if any of you have suggestions to share with me. I feel like I wasn't a good stay-at-home Mom to Ellie because I was so used to working full time that I didn't know how to transition to staying home full time. Now that I work 2 days a week, I'm struggling to juggle staying at home and working, although I am home most of the time with my girls. So, here's what I want from you, my readers. :-) Send me ideas that you have. Things you do on a daily basis with your kids, ways you teach them, how you teach them to love God, your daily schedule, crafts...whatever you do with your kids and any advice you might have. I think having 2 kids made me think even more about what I'm teaching them, so I've tried to be much better about keeping the house clean lately and we started a chore chart for Ellie, including allowance (thanks to another friend, Amber, who has a little boy very close to Ellie's age - she started it with her little boy and gave me the idea). Anyway, can't wait to hear from you!

2 comments:

It's a Mom Thing said...

I struggle with this, too, and I've been at home since T$ was 4 months old. Some days I'm really good at getting on the floor and playing with her in her kitchen, doing lacing beads, puzzles, reading books, etc. But other days, I know I take advantage of the fact that she plays well on her own. Instead of interacting with her, I clean, do laundry, blog, etc.

One book I have is called Mommy, Teach Me by Barbara Curtis. It is FULL of Montessori-type ideas that you can use with your kids at home. It is awesome, now I just need to actually do the activities.
Keep us posted on what your readers say!

tish said...

Good morning! Since this is going to be a new venture for me, as well, I would love to hear any great feedback you receive. I recently bought a book called The Busy Mom's Guide for Preschoolers. It is full of fun activities and things that I plan to do with Ella.

This is will be my first year out of the school system, so I am so excited, but also want to make the time worthwhile. I am a schedule person, so I plan to try to plan certain things for certain days of the week. (Example - one day is going to be "Service Day" where we do something for someone else, one day will be "Home day" where I try to not leave the house for any reason!, and that may be as far as I have gotten with the planning! Please share any ideas you have.

During the summer months, I find myself working beside Ella sometimes and not really engaging in play with her like I know I should. I want to try to do that better.
Your girls are absolutely adorable!
Talk to you soon,
Tish